We started 2022 strong by meeting our year end goal, and it’s all thanks to YOU!
In December alone, we raised a total of $48,160 together from 200 neighbors, customers, volunteers and supporters! We couldn’t have gone the distance without you.
Forgot to make a final 2021 gift? Be one of our first 2022 donors. Make a gift below.
There are many opportunities to get involved and make an immediate impact at Gearin’ Up. In 2022, volunteer opportunities will include:
- Providing mechanical expertise and fixing bikes in the shop
- Lending a hand to youth volunteers working on bikes
- Shop build out
- Grant review
- Individual donor stewardship
- Website design and maintenance
- Event preparation
- Photography and storytelling videography
- Bicycle donation pick up and transportation
Please fill out the form below to tell us about your interests and skills.
Donate Used Bicycles, Parts, & Accessories
Our community bicycle shop runs on the generous donations of used bicycles, parts, and accessories, which Gearin’ Up accepts in any condition. These in-kind donations are tax-deductible. Refurbished bicycles and parts are kept out of the landfill and given a second life through sales to people who need bikes or during youth programs, build projects, and community workshops.
Individual Bike Donations
Bicycle donations (including kids bikes!), frames and larger donations (car racks, child trailers, indoor trainers) can be dropped off once a month on a selected Saturday.
Upcoming Drop Off Days
Saturday, January 29, 12-5 PM
Part and Accessory Donations
Part donations (components, handlebars, forks, pedals, saddles, tires, wheels, etc.) and accessories (bike racks, locks, bicycle specific clothing, shoes, lights, etc.) can be dropped off at any time during business hours, Tues-Sat 12-6 PM.
Abandoned Bike Rescue
Want to organize a bike drive in your neighborhood?
Oftentimes, there are lots of bikes kept in basements or garages that, with a little TLC, could go to someone who will use them! Talk to us about designing a bicycle drive.
Want to donate abandoned bikes?
We bring our Uhaul and pick up from local partners, apartment buildings, universities, and government agencies for refurbishment at our shop. To schedule a bike pickup of 10 or more bicycles, please email email@example.com.
Bike Pick Up Policy
- Gearin’ Up staff or volunteers will come to the bikes’ location. Please provide an exact address of where the bikes are located.
- Please alert front desk staff that a bike pick up is taking place.
- Please alert all building occupants that a bike pick up is taking place.
- Mark all bikes that are to be donated to Gearin’ Up with a “Donate” tag.
- All bikes must be free of locks. If there are locks on the bikes, we cannot accept them as donations. Please have staff remove locks before the set pick up date.
- All bikes must be in a space that is accessible to a truck or car to ensure efficient pick up.
Local companies, bicycle shops, and individuals can support two annual events: the DC Bike Swap in the summer and our gala in the fall. Please reach out with all other sponsorship inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.